With all the program cancellations and facility closures, along with the "shelter at home" order statewide, we here at the Hesperia Recreation and Park District want to make sure you still have access to plenty of things to do to keep your mind and body active and having FUN!
Check-in for updates; we will add to this list as we find more to do. If you come across anything you'd like to add, send it to us at info@HesperiaParks.com!
Scroll down for Community Resources we've found so far, and please share with us if you know of any we've missed.
Click Here to Learn 13 Amazing Otter Facts on DiscoverWildlife.com
Hesperia Recreation and Park District is calling all local high school and college students to create an engaging 60 to 90-second video highlighting the essential services it provides to Hesperia. The contest, which runs through September 30, will reward scholarship funds to the filmmakers of the top three videos selected.
Creative Writing Contest
Build a Bug Hotel
Healthy Granola Bars
Water Bottle Holder Decorating Contest
THank you and great job!
Paper Cup Instruments
Create this quick and easy instruments and allow your kids to make their own music as they play to the beat of their own drum.
What You Need:
- Paper cups- assorted sizes are a good way to experiment with the different sounds they make, but one size will do too
- Elastic Bands
- Duct Tape
- Rice, dried lentils, beads, or similar to make shakers
- Straws, preferably paper
- Balloons to make drums, or you could also use paper and tape it on
Paper Cup Drums-
Blow a balloon up and let the air out to give it a bit of a stretch and then cut the tip off. Stretch the balloon over the top of the cup, grab a couple of paper straws and now you have a drum! Try making them with cups of different sizes and experiment with the sound they make. Even create a whole drum set with cups of different sizes.
Paper Cup Shakers-
Fill paper cups with rice (or lentils, dried beans, or similar) and make shakers by sticking them together with duct tape. You will need to cut slits in the duct tape all around it horizontally so that it fits a bit better to the tapered edge of the cup. A bigger cup will sound different than a smaller cup, and filling it with different things will create new and interesting sounds.
Paper Cup Guitars-
Put a rubber band over your cup and it becomes a 'guitar' (with a little stretch of the imagination). To make it more interesting, use different sizes of cups and rubber bands and see the difference it makes.
Virtual Theme Park Rides
Just because theme parks are closed, doesn't mean you can't enjoy the excitement of the rides. Click the links below and display these exciting rides on your big screen in the living room, or on any electronic device and get taken away on the thrills of these rides from the comfort of your own home.
Rain Cloud in a Jar
Although outside has been hot and dry, doesn't mean we can't have a little rain. With these rain clouds in a jar, your kids not only will have fun, but they will also see, in their own way, how rainy day clouds give water to the earth.
- Glass jar or clear container
- Food coloring or liquid watercolors
- Small cups
- Shaving cream
1. Begin by filling your jar or see-through container almost all the way to the top with water.
2. Layer shaving cream on top of the water to the top of the jar or container.
3. Fill some small cups up with water. If you are using liquid watercolors, you can pour them directly into the smalls cups instead.
4. Place a few drops of food coloring into each of the small cups and stir. Again, if you are using liquid watercolors, you can skip this step. Alternatively, you can drip the food coloring directly onto the shaving cream, but it will seep through much faster, and the colors will muddle together quickly, not allowing you to get the whole effect for long.
5. Using an eyedropper, have your child add drops of food coloring/colored water to the shaving cream cloud.
6. Watch as the colors seep down through the "clouds" and begin to rain into the jar.
Obstacle Course Using Paper Streamers
Using a roll of paper streamers, tape lines across a hallway wall both high and low in a zig zag pattern. Challenge your kids to walk through without breaking the streamers!
Create Your Own Egg Geode
What you will need:
- 3-4 Raw Eggs
- Craft Glue
- Epsom Salt
- Food Coloring
- Small Containers
- Small Paint Brush
- Small Pot and Stove
- Screw Driver (Optional)
1. To make your egg geode, carefully crack your egg at the narrow end. It may be easier to do this by tapping with a small screw driver.
2. Slowly widen the hole in the egg until it is larger than a quarter.
3. Empty the contents of the egg into a bowl. You can use this to a make a recipe, of your choice, with the kids after.
4. Rinse the egg shell out. Then, gently rub your finger around the inside of the shell to remove the egg's membrane.
5. Once the membrane is removed, turn the egg upside down on a paper towel and let it dry completely before the next step. *If you want, you can dye the egg shell before letting it dry. You can dye your eggshells separately, and then add a second color later for the crystals.
6. Once the egg shells dry, use a paint brush to coat the entire inside of the shells with a layer of craft glue.
7. Sprinkle Epsom salt onto the glue, shaking off any excess. This will act as a starter to help grow your crystals in your homemade geode.
8. Let the glue dry completely.
9. Once the glue is dry, boil 1 cup of water.
10. Remove from heat source and stir 1/2 cup of Epsom salt. Stir it until it is completely dissolved.
11. Continue stirring in 1-2 tablespoons of salt at a time until it no longer dissolves. Your super-saturated solution should be thicker than water when you stir it.
12. Place each hallow egg into a small container. (You could also use a styrofoam egg carton for this part.)
13. Use a small ladle to fill each egg with your super-saturated salt solution.
14. Add a drop or two of food coloring and stir with a toothpick.
15. Place the eggshells somewhere they won't get disturbed. (The top of the fridge is a good place.)
16. Check your egg experiment daily, and use a toothpick to break any solid layers that may form on top. You want the water to be able to evaporate!
17. After a few days, the water will dissolve, leaving behind beautiful homemade geodes!
Online Painting Lessons and Supply Delivery
Shine Bright Paint Parties is delivering paint supplies to the whole high desert so you can have your own paint party at home by following along with their live Facebook events!
Wednesday evening 6:00-9:00 p.m.
Thursday afternoon 1-3 p.m.
From their Facebook post:
"For those that have supplies, like our page and tune in! For those in need of supplies, we will be delivering canvas, easels, chalk, brushes, paper plates, water cups and paint to your door (all sanitized). The link to our website as well as our FB page are below. Please check us out and see what we do; we would love to share our joy with you!
If you’re in need of an ‘at home paint kit’, we are asking $30 for the 11x14 kit and $25 for the 8x10 kit (best suited for little artists). ALL of the kit supplies that yours to keep (easel, canvas, brushes, chalk, paint, paper plates, water cup). We will make canvas/paint deliveries every week for those that want to participate in classes and will be asking $15 (11x14) and $12 (8x10) for delivery of the non-reusable supplies (paper plates, canvas, paint). If you already have supplies, please just join our livestream and paint some fun.
Shine Bright was started in an effort to bring joy to families facing the challenges of special needs, if your family is facing a hardship or are a special needs family, let us know. We would love to bless you!
Our mission is to spread joy in this dark time and don’t want anyone to be left out. We are delivering to the entire high desert area (Barstow, Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, Adelanto, Phelan, Pinon Hills, Helendale, Wright Wood, Oak Hills). Contact us today so that we can make your painting experience a fun and memorable one!
We deliver supplies on Monday and Tuesday, so please let us know what you need so that we can get the supplies to you! Each week we choose new paintings, but if you like one that’s been done, let us know! All of our paints are available on our FB page, we are happy to bring you the colors needed for any of our paintings! Also, if there is something that you or your little want to paint, let us know, we would love to hear your ideas!
This process will be ongoing until we can paint with you in person again, so let us know how to serve you best! We currently accept Venmo, PayPal (please add $2 to offset fees) & Zelle (payment info below). We will not be accepting in person payments for everyone’s safety.
We are in this together and while we can’t meet in person to paint, we can still fill our world with color, love and joy!
PayPal: ShineFoundationCa@gmail.com (please add $2 to offset fees)
Zelle: (760)373-0188 (Caleb S.)
PLEASE MESSAGE A DELIVERY ADDRESS WHEN SENDING PAYMENT 🎨🙏"
Make an Ice Cream Truck Out of Boxes
Do you have a ton of boxes laying around from all those deliveries? Use them to make an ice cream truck, food truck, or storefront. Use your imagination! Not only is it fun to make but fun to play in afterward.
We got this idea from https://cortneywheeler.com/quarantine-activities-for-kids-our-favorite-things-to-do-at-home/, but there are a lot more examples online.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Since we're talking about ice cream... this looks fun AND delicious! Gather: ice cream sandwiches (even different flavors if you'd like), whipped cream (or pudding, jam, or all of the above), and different candies and toppings of choice. You can make either your own individual, personal-sized cakes on a plate OR put them all together on a lined cookie sheet to make one BIG cake. Unwrap the ice cream sandwiches, use the whipped cream as frosting, and have fun decorating to your ♥'s desire.
PieGraph Pizzeria Take & Bake Pizzas
Try PieGraph's new Take & Bake Pizzas and Homemade Pizza Kits and get the whole family involved!
According to their Facebook post: "We have daily specials every day so we can save you and your family money as well. Our food is made fresh daily with fresh produce, not processed food. We have something for everyone along with our Gluten-Free Crust (100% Cauliflower with egg whites and cheese) also low carbs for you Keto Dieters. Our pizza and specialty salads, subs, wings and spaghetti are rated almost 5 out of 5 stars on all apps."
PieGraph Pizzeria (in the 76 station)
12720 Main St
Hesperia, CA 92345
Hours Sunday thru Thursday - 11:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday and Saturday - 11:00 am to 9:00 pm
J Cruz Gymnastics Virtual Gymnastics Classes
$25 per household
"Our classes are geared to anyone who loves moving their bodies. Whether gymnastics or any other sport is part of your daily life, we are opening up our virtual classes to others so we all can stay moving, stay strong and flexible. Our classes run about 15-35 mins long depending on age and subject for the day. No special equipment needed just an area that a cartwheel or handstand would fit."
For more info please send an email to Jcruzgym2014@gmail.com.
A waiver will be emailed.
Tuesday and Thursday
5:00 pm: under 5 years, great for PreK and parent and me kids
5:30 pm: 5 and up, beginners grade school age
9:30 am: under 5, great for the PreK and parent and me kids
10:00 am: 5 and up, great for beginners grade school age
Mail a Hug
Has it been a while since you've seen your loved ones in person? Here's a cute idea that's sure to bring smiles and make someone's day. We found it on https://www.theleangreenbean.com/mail-a-hug/ where there are full directions and more information.
According to the website:
- Spread out a long sheet of butcher paper.
- Trace the child’s head, arms, and upper torso onto the paper.
- You can either cut it out now or decorate first and then cut. Thye used paint but markers or crayons would work just fine!
- Print or write out the message below to accompany the hug.
- Fold it all up, put in an envelope and mail!
Here’s the message we use:
“I miss you when you’re far away.
I’d love to see you every day.
But since I can’t come over to play,
I’m mailing you a hug today.
So although it might be quite a sight,
wrap my arms around you tight.
Repeat daily to keep your smile bright,
until we get to reunite!”
Craft at Home with JOANN
Subscribe to their YouTube channel to get new craft-at-home videos every weekday at 10am and 7pm! They share kid & family-friendly ideas in the morning and crafts for grown-ups in the evening. Use the hashtag #handmadewithjoann to show them what you've made. (We'd L♥VE to see it too, so feel free to post it to our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HesperiaParks/)
Running out of things to do at home? Hesperia Recreation and Park District is here to help! Play Recreation BINGO with our original BINGO card. Challenge your friends, family and/or classmates to compete to get a BINGO! Take pictures and/or videos and share with us on our Facebook or Instagram!
Beachbody Kids Workouts
With school out, use Beachbody's workouts for kids to stay healthy and fit! Celebrity trainers Tony Horton, Shaun T, and Leandro Carvalho are temporarily providing these workouts for free during the stay at home order. Make fitness FUN and a part of your daily routine!
Customize Your Zoom Background
Nickelodeon offers free customizable Zoom backgrounds! If your new norm consists of non-stop video conferences and virtual classroom time, you’re probably familiar with the Zoom app. But did you know that you can customize your background? Hide that messy kitchen (no judgment!) or add some humor with their downloadable backgrounds here:
Then find the full instructions on how to upload to Zoom here:
The Genius of Play
This website has TONS of great resources for parents and kids, to keep kids engaged and entertained during the stay-at-home order. https://thegeniusofplay.org/
Use the links below to easily navigate to a category that meets your children’s interests.
- Explaining COVID-19 to Kids
- Free Games/Play Activities
- For Animal Lovers
- Art on the Move
- Get Moving
- Take a Virtual Tour
- STEM Learning
- Additional Virtual Learning Resources
Don't miss Kidz Bop's Daily Dance Break!
Mojave Desert Air Quality District's
Clean Air Month Poster Contest
Daily Home Work-ins by Planet Fitness
Hesperia Pizza Factory's Pizza Making Kits
Pick up pizza making kits from Hesperia Pizza Factory, support your local businesses, and have a FUN night with the family! Give them a call in advance and they'll get them ready for pick up. They do deliver with a $15 minimum. Calling ahead is probably best, but they do have a few on hand if you're in a rush.
14135 Main St, Ste 101
Hesperia, California 92345
Do you know a Hesperia business offering family-fun activities? Let us know! We'd love to share.
Become a Cat and Kitten Foster Parent
Experienced Cat Foster parents are needed by the Hesperia Animal Shelter. Now, that sounds like a good time!
Owl Spotters Wanted
Become a citizen scientist and help save wild burrowing owls. This is AWESOME!
Help scientists classify burrowing owl photos, noting how many birds, ages (adult, juvenile, or fluffy chicks), activity (eating, mating, other), and prey items (as fierce little hunters, it could be anything from a grasshopper to a snake!). There may also be “visitors” at the burrow, like roadrunners, coyotes, or rabbits. You get to classify and decide!
Watch a live, virtual classical concert
Click Here for an updated list of free classical concerts you can listen to and watch online: https://www.classicalmpr.org/story/2020/03/16/free-online-classical-concerts
See how this classroom raised trout:
Teachers! Click here for more information on CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife's Classroom Aquarium Education Program and how to join: https://wildlife.ca.gov/CAEP.
Visit Aquariums, Zoos, and Parks ... virtually
- Monterey Bay Aquarium webcams include otters ♥. jellyfish, penguins, sharks, and more. Click here to view them all:
- Study the ocean at the Shark Lagoon, Tropical Reef, or Honda Blue Cavern at the Aquarium of the Pacific. Click here to choose which live-action you'd like to watch:
- There's a tiger in your house! View San Diego Zoo's Live Cams here: https://zoo.sandiegozoo.org/live-cams
- Watch the clouds roll over Half Dome or the majestic Yosemite Falls from Yosemite National Park's live webcams: https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm. They say the animals are taking back the park!
Live Storytime, Concerts & More
Please be patient with the hosts of these streams as the technology is new to many of them.
- Mornings with Papa Tom Chapin: Kids' concerts every morning at 11:00 a.m. on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tomchapinmusic and Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tomchapinmusic/ "Tom plays his award-winning kids songs live from the living room. Tom's daughters The Chapin Sisters will be joining him to make it a sing-along. They'll be chatting with viewers and might even take your song request!"
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems "Learners worldwide can draw, doodle and explore new ways of writing by visiting Mo’s studio virtually once a day for the next few weeks. Grab some paper and pencils, pens, or crayons and join Mo to explore ways of writing and making together.
- Kids' cooking lessons with $5 Dinners: You can find the menu for the week, shopping lists, and previous videos on the $5 Dinners website. This is the $5 Dinners Facebook page, where you should be able to watch the Facebook Live videos weekdays at 10:00 PST.
- Daily Sing-along with Erin Mae: every weekday at 10:30 a.m. join Erin for sing-alongs geared to pre-K through 2nd grade with lots of singing and dancing. Join in on Zoom here:
- Draw Every Day with JJK: daily, live art lessons weekdays at 11:00 a.m. PST. Watch and draw along on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/137105464374016/ or watch archived videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/StudioJJK.
(This list will be updated and added to regularly. Keep checking back!)
Local Food Banks: Click Here to View
Hesperia Unified School District:
Meal Service - Click Here
Parent/Guardian Info - Click Here
Supplemental Learning - Click Here
Barstow Meals on Wheels Senior Nutrition:
Monday through Friday, 11:10 a.m.
Percy Bakker Community Center, 9333 'E' Avenue, Hesperia